Thursday, November 3, 2016

Most Important Things

As I’ve undergone the first small step in my grief journey there have been times I’ve felt very lost. Part of grieving is not trusting yourself to make decisions and I have really felt that so being in touch with my Heavenly Father, my higher power, has been so important.  A friend asked me a few weeks ago what I needed to be doing right now, what’s the most important thing and I said without thinking, “I need to put up all our family pictures on our walls and look at them every day until I don’t cry when I look at them.” She encouraged me to make a list of the things that I feel like need done that day and pray that someone would be sent to take care of those things so I can work on the most important things. I have been amazed at the result.



Last week I prayed on Monday morning to know what the most important thing was and the answer surprised me.  The answer was to make a Jedi costume for my nine-year-old.  (A little background here: I am NOT good at sewing and have shed a few tears and said a few choice words while working on projects in the past. I also don’t always enjoy my projects.)  I looked around the house at the dirty floor, pile of dishes and unwashed laundry and thought that certainly couldn’t be right but the answer was pretty clear so I started in.  I wish you could have seen the look on my son’s face when he came home and I’d made him this simple costume just a vest and a belt. I did not know that doing something for him was important to him but Heavenly Father did.  Before the week was over I had made costumes for all four of us to wear to a church party.  I had never sewn costumes for my kids before and we had never done family theme costumes or matching costumes before but we did this year.  I think it was important for our family to show a unified front and it was fun.



I’m almost ashamed to say how many hours I spent sewing that week.  Even simple projects take time.  To see the tutorial I used to create the vests click here.  I ended up reaching out to two friends that week to sit with my two-year-old while I took kids to the dentist and went to an appointment.  They both cleaned my house while they were there!  My heart was so touched that Heavenly Father had sent someone to take care of that other stuff so I could take care of the one thing that seemed insignificant to me but was the most important thing that week.

Read More Here:

Ordinary Heros

Back To Basics

No comments: