Friday, January 19, 2018

I Am Falling Apart

In high school I completely fell in love...with tennis.  We played five days a week for 2 hours during the three month season.  I was terrible for the first two years and part of a Junior Varsity team that didn't exist..they just sent us across town to practice on our own everyday and I think we got coached about twice a year. I loved being out there, even though I was TERRIBLE.  I loved the power in the swing, the bursts of speed to chase down a shot that looked unreachable and how good your body feel when you're totally exhausted from playing but it feels SO good because you had SO MUCH FUN.

I played through high school and did join the varsity team my last two years.  I enjoyed it immensely. I loved traveling, playing with all kinds of people, I loved spending time with my teammates and it was just fun.  In college I played inter murals for two years and it was fun.  I also occasionally taught others who had an interest in learning how to play. 

When I became a mother over ten years ago I gave it up and decided it wasn't a priority and assumed it would never be part of my life again.  When my oldest turned eight years old I started teaching him.  I learned that tennis is a difficult sport to learn. My two oldest have played a bit but overall aren't super interested in it but I was reminded how much I enjoy it.

I started playing at a local club last August and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I went from playing once a week to playing three times a week and the only issue I have with it is that my body is having a hard time keeping up with it all.  My joints ache and I'm tired all the time (though that probably isn't tennis related). It is SO frustrating to see my body slowing down and possibly taking away my biggest stress relief. Apart from feeling like my body is falling apart there are days when I feel unequal to the task of caring for three busy, intelligent, spunky boys.

The seasonal depression started early this year and I've been quick tempered for a couple of months.  I'm hoping it was just from the stress of the holidays as it has improved a bit since I've been home.  I was talking to Laura Mary Gold the other day and we talked about the need to release control. She explained that, "control is illusory.  When we give up the illusion, there's only abundance of peace.  The ONLY control we have in mortality is over the decision to be, or not be, an agent of God. All other decisions are subsumed to that one." That is directly in line with the concept that the only thing that is truly ours to give is our will and when we choose to give it to God He can make so much more of us that we can do ourselves. You can check out her website for improving communication here: AiKi Training

As I was thinking about how broken my body feels right now I was reading a conference talk by Elder Eyring about peace, He talked about how "Those who do not see their weaknesses do not progress. Your awareness of your weakness is a blessing as it helps you remain humble and keeps you turning to the Savior." ("My Peace I Leave with You", Ensign, May 2017, p 16)  I want to learn to see my weakness as a blessing, as an invitation to come unto Christ and allow Him to mold me, strengthen me and help me find peace, especially in those moments when I feel I am falling apart.

Read More Here:




No comments: