Sunday, January 8, 2017

What I Learned in 2016

This year has been a wild ride...like a roller coaster without a seatbelt. I've learned some things from my year that I think are important to share.

Make Memories: My husband and I took what he called a medical vacation in February to Sunny California. Between the medical tests and appointments we visited the Golden Gate Bridge, tone of the Redwood forests, the beach at Monterey, the boardwalk at Santa Cruz, Lobos State Park and several other places. We created memories that I cherish so take time to take time to make memories, even if you just take a day trip, play a game, go on a walk, play together, take time to create memories with the people you love.

Find Your People: There are people out there that just get you. They are hard to find as personalities vary so broadly. Join a club, plan an outing and invite friends, attend community events, go out and look for people who share common interests. Good friends are precious,  find some and keep in touch with them when they move away. Let them know you value them because those are the people you'll call when life gets tough...because they understand you.

Be A Gracious Receiver: When someone offers help accept. When we receive Wether it's a service, a compliment, an invitation, a word of advice or a criticism we will be so much better off if we can learn to receive it graciously we'll be better off for it. I wish I could more accurately explain how this concept has changed me but I am at a loss.

Take Care Of Yourself: Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is stop and take a few deep breaths, a hot bath or a quiet hour curled up in a blanket with or without a book does wonders for me.  Pay attention to the food you're putting into your body. You wouldn't dump junk into your car's tank so be aware what your putting in your body. Take a walk it's good for the mind and body. My goal this week is to make it around the block with the dog everyday; we've made it all the way around once so far this week.

Seek Inspiration Daily: Time is precious and if you want to spend it on what's most important for you today ask God to tell you. Have a daily planning meeting each morning and ask Him to guide you throughout the day. When you have a thought to do something don't dismiss it, do it. Allow Him to direct your steps.

Sing and Dance: Find what makes you happy, make a list and do something that makes you happy every day. I've learned that TV doesn't and have replaced my hour of TV down time doing things that make me happy. I still get a break and I'm in a better mood when I'm done.

Have Realistic Expectations: You don't know what you don't know. Don't expect yourself to be able to do things without learning to do them first, also don't expect your children to always get it right. I'm working on spending more time teaching and less time demanding quality performances from them.

Wow! What a year. I can honestly say I am looking forward to this year. I have NO CLUE what it will bring but I'm ready.

1 comment:

Joan said...

This is wonderful! I am so impressed with how you try to live your life. You continue to inspire me, and I'm grateful for your example.