Monday, April 11, 2011

Answers to My Questions

Well, to put it mildly it's been a roller coaster lately. I've never liked February this may have initially had something to do with Valentine's Day (or single awareness day as it was known to me at times) but probably has more to do with the terrible cabin fever that infects those who live in places where the snow doesn't melt until far into Spring or places where it rains 9 months out of the year (except last year when it rained for 10 months instead). I hate to admit that I'm having a hard time and have really spent much of my gloomy days in denial that I was grumpy. There are several things I've been pondering alot lately. First was how to bring the Spirit into a class of 12-13 year old Sunday School students who aren't always paying attention. Second, how to I treat my family in a way they deserve with love and kindness and serve them on a daily basis witout complaint. Third, how can I find more peace and joy in my life when there are days I feel like a slave. Fourth, when will my injury stop holding my back from getting things done. In High School I had a seminary teacher who challenged us to prepare for general conference by coming up with a list of questions we would like to find answers to and then listening for those answers during conference. I've done that several times and began forming the above list about a month before conference. I also set a goal to read the November Ensign before the next conference came. I was unprepared to find the answers as quickly as I did. I'm always amazed at reading through these messages that seem to keep everything so simple. I've decided that women in general seem to overcomplicate their lives and the gospel helps us to prioritize and let some things go. So I'm giong to share a few of the things that changed my perspective. Part of my trouble is caused by wasting away my time on useless things. For example I enjoy watching TV which is a great way to relax at the end of the day but there are days I spend 4-5 hours in the afternoon watching. I've struggled with this and many other little things and thought, "why can't I just tell myself no?" "Why is it so hard to do the right thing?" "Will this ever get any easier?" I am happy to say that I did find an answer. "A consistent, righteous life produces an inner power and strength that can be permanently reisistant to the eroding influence of sin and transgression." This was a talk by Elder Richard G. Scott ("The Transforming Power of Faith and Character," Ensign Nov 2010, 43-46.). He talks about the cycle of developing faith and character and how developing one will lead to strengthening the other. Anther thought that got me was, "the central problem (of mortality) is character building-which is not a product of logic, but of faith in ideals and sacrificial devotion to them." Hmmm, I think that will change the attitude with which I face my next hardship. Okay, one more, "Your happiness on earth as well as your eternal salvation require many correct descisions, none of which is difficult to make." I'm always impressed at how a man inspired by God can take my problems and make them seem more managable and help my fight the discouragement of my simple life. I'm so very grateful for the blessing that being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been in my life. I'm starting to understand how it really does affect all facets of my life. One final thought from Elder Scott, "If you have determined to live righteously, don't become discouraged. Life may seem difficult now... You are making better progress than you realize." It is my testimony that I can be righteous. I can make good decisions everyday and as I make those decisions the power of the adversary is deminished. We are fighting a war everyday to overcome Satan and WE ARE WINNING. To my fellow warriors, keep the faith, fight the good fight and remember we're all in this together.

No comments: