Saturday, April 23, 2011

I Don't Believe In The Easter Bunny

I know some people are big on holiday fun and look forward to doing all the fun, silly holday stuff with their kids, I am not one of those. As I try to figure out what I want to accomplish through holiday traditions. I've read several articles and parts of books that discuss the importance of having traditions and all the benefits that come with them. Traditions build good family relationships and on and on. Yes, I believe that it is important to have holiday traditions but I do not beileve in the Easter Bunny.

I struggle the most with finding appropriate tradition at Easter and Christmas. I do really love both of these holidays (I love food and these holidays have great treats that I really enjoy making and eating). The part I struggle with is keeping things in the right perspective. These holidays are really about the Birth and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. As we approach these holidays I feel my attempts to emphasize the importance of the Savior's mission are inadequate, to put it mildly.

My three year old came up to me about a month ago and said, "Jesus died so we can live again." Wow, he sure got it right. As I continue my mission to find meaningful traditions I pray that the Savior can be a more prominant part of my everyday life and that these holidays can be an opportunity to celebrate what I have in my life because of the sacrifices He made for me.

No comments: