Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Lessons I Learned From Elsa-2016

I found this post this week that was written last November and decided it was time to share.

How many of you are still experiencing this song, “Let It Go,” over and over again? Has the Frozen frenzy ended or are some of your little ones in the midst of experiencing this obsession? I must admit I really liked that movie but I’m afraid the message I heard so often has taken a long time to sink in.


I was talking to my sister a few months ago and we got to talking about trying to fix our bad days and turn them around and how frustrating it is to have days like that and how often we hang on to those days as evidence of all the things we are doing wrong in our lives.  My sister challenged me on days like that to let it go, chalk it up as having a bad day and move on.  This is simple but it was a major light bulb moment for me.  I’m a fixer by nature so the thought that I could just leave the day and say, “well, that was a doozy,” and leave it alone was HUGE.  We will have difficult days.  It is part of our mortal experience.  There is a scriptures teach us that there must be opposition in all things.  If your kids never got sick, made messes, took their diaper off and peed in the middle of the kitchen floor (yep, that happened this week), we wouldn’t appreciate the days when everyone was healthy, the dishes are mostly done, and the clothes stayed on (the struggle is real my friends). We have to have disagree with our spouse, family, co-workers, roommates and friends every once in a while so we can appreciate that we can forgive and still be friends. It’s all part of life.  Sometimes life is messy and the real lesson is to not let that messiness keep you from finding joy in the little things. So thanks Elsa, but mostly thanks to my sister who took a moment to teach me another lesson that God had for me. 

No comments: