Saturday, March 11, 2017

Stop Selling Yourself Short

60%, I explained to my sister, I am about 60-70% of the woman I once was.  The conversation had turned deep fast as we talked about the challenges we are currently facing. She was recovering from a bout of pneumonia and I was still adjusting to the idea of a life without my spouse.  She explained something to me that changed the way I saw myself.  She said simply, "if you are doing the best you can, you are operating at 100%."  What a simple concept, yet so profound.

Somewhere along the way I came to understand that my value lies not in who I am but in what I am able to accomplish in a day.  I would make to do lists and trudge through them day after day sometimes missing out on the simple things that are so important to my happiness. How often I chose a chore over a quiet moment with someone I loved based on this valuation.

When did I start to believe I was broken because I couldn't do the laundry list of things that media portrays a "good mom" doing? There is not list of required accomplishments to be a successful human being.  There is not expectation that we all reach the same goals or pursue the same dreams.  How dull life would be if that were true!

Each of us is unique.  Our life goals and aspirations and how we spend our time on any given day will be as unique as we are and it it's time to embrace the beautiful things that make you you.

Read More Here:

Faith and Piano

Cancer Diagnosis

No comments: