Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Don't Kill My Dreams

When I saw this picture it reminded me of the scene in Rocket Man when he is in the dryer pretending he in a spaceship.  That reminded me of Despicable Me when Mr. Gru has flash backs into his past when he dreamed of building a rocket and flying to the moon.  His ambitions were crushed by his cynical mother with comments like, "I'm afriad you're too late, NASA isn't sending the monkeys anymore,"  and other discouraging remarks.  I often find myself in pesimestic mode and am sure I've made comments to my family and friends that have only served to disourage them.  For that I am truely sorry.  We all need a little encouragement.

I've also learned that I have a hard time accepting compliments.  I'm sure we could all make a long list of the things we need to work on but let's try focusing on our successes for a change.  Let's see, I love teaching in the pre-school co-op once a month, I enjoy being a Primary teacher, I have almost perfected Matt's favorite chocolate chip/raisin oatmeal cookie recipe, I joined the ward choir, I try to make myself availible to help others watch their kids, I love to read, I keep a fairly clean house, I keep my blog up (most of the time), I can touch my nose with my big toe on both feet (I haven't always been able to do that), I have potty trained one child and I'm doing better everyday in figuring out what life is all about.

I challenge you to take a moment today to count up your successes and smile at how great your life has been.  It takes practice to be content with yourself and I know I can get there.

No comments: