Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chicken Artichoke Casserole Recipe

Okay Mom, I'm going to take my own advice and do what Mom says. Just kidding but you did ask for this recipe so here it is.

Chicken Artichoke Casserole

1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
6 Tablespoons butter, divided
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (14-once) can chicken broth [I used 1 3/4 cup water and a mexican bullion cube]
1 (7.5 once) can artichoke hearts, drained
Dash salt
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup light cream [I used 1 Tbsp of butter and enough milk to make 3/4 cup]
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese [I never buy fresh I use the bulk powder from WinCo]
1/2 tsp dried rosemary

Saute mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter for about 2 minuts; set aside. [I did this at the end of baking the casserole as I don't like cold mushrooms.] Cook chicken breasts in simmering chicken broth over low heat for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. [I cubed the chicken before cooking it to cut down the cook time.] Drain broth, reserving 3/4 cup. Cut chicken into cubes. Place cubed chicken and artichoke hearts in a greased 8x8-inch pan. Lightly salt; set aside. In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until well blended. Add cream and reserved 3/4 cup chicken broth and stir constantly over medium heat until thickened. Stir in the 1/4 teaspon salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and rosemary. Pour over chicken and bake at 325 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with sauteed mushrooms. Makes 4 servings.

[I used only 3 chicken breasts and I think you could safely omit the artichoke without affecting the flavor much. We served it with steamed brocolli and califlour which went really well in the sauce. I loved this sauce and have served it over elbow macoroni.]

No comments: