Monday, May 16, 2011

Hi Hat Cupcake Recipe

So, I really like to bake, probably because I really enjoy eating baked goods. In October of last year a friend brought me a cupcake. I had never seen such a thing before. It was a double chocolate cupcake with a marshmallow frosting with a hard chocolate coating. I shared it with my husband and was glad I did as it was very rich and delicious. Ever since then I've been contemplating trying it myself so for our Easter dessert I did. Here's a picture of the finished product to wet your appetite.
I used a boxed cake mix (in the future it would be better to do a homemade recipe that makes a heartier cupcake as I smashed some of these while dipping them). The recipe for the frosting and coating came from Martha Stewart.com . I had to read a couple of blogs of people who had done it (I liked bakerella best) successfully before I got brave enough to try it.

In my first attempt at the frosting I accidentally omitted the 1/4 cup water and it turned into a ball of gritty goo. I got frustrated and made a few phone calls before I realized what I had done. When the frosting was supposed to be "done" I wasn't sure I had gotten it hot enough and was worried it wasn't stiff enough to stand on its own. This is what they looked like after I piped the frosting onto the cupcakes.
They went into the fridge for about 1/2 hour before I attempted dipping them and was worried that the frosting would fall when I tried to dip them. Regardless, I looked cute (Thanks for the apron Alyse, it's my favorite!)
The dipping process was a bit messy and I was still skeptical it was going to work out.

I don't know if I've ever been happier to see a recipe turn out well. These are delicious. They were fairly time consuming (especially since I had to make the frosting twice) but well worth the effort.

I found out that my friend uses the too much chocolate cake recipe from allrecipes.com for this cupcake which makes a delicious cupcake that is sturdy enough to hold onto when you are dipping the cupcakes.

2 comments:

KingFAM said...

YUM! We might have to give that a try. I'm so glad you can be looking all sorts of cute while baking your favorite things. I've been making bread lately. Baked goods really are so yummy!

Indiana Transplants said...

Looks like fun! I'll bet you could whip those out in no time now you've got the bugs worked out. I wonder if they would travel well by post? Eh... probably not!