Tuesday, July 24, 2012

F A M I L Y

There is a special bond that exists between family.  They are the ones who have known us longest and best.  There are all different kinds of families, but we all have one.  Twice a year we make the trek to visit family.  This year I was not feeling well when it came time for packing and was NOT looking forward to the long drive.  The day we were leaving, my hip was acting up and I had a hundred things to do and everything hurt.  After spending an hour trying to pack around my children I banished them from my bedroom and got that done.  Next, it was time to start into the cleaning. (My Mom always had us give the house a good cleaning before we left for the weekend, I thought she was crazy but now I'm sure she is a genius.)  When my husband got home I was in tears because my back hurt so bad and I was trying to sweep the floor.  He swooped in, took over the mopping and sent me off to get a pizza for dinner.

No matter how hectic the trip is or the preparation, the stress melts away when we finally reach our destination.  I marvel at how much my children love their grandparents, which they should because they're really great.  We get to enjoy them for a few days and we're off again.  Despite that limited amount of time they spend together, my children have always had an acute awareness that those grandparents belong to them.  They treasure the time we spend with our family and remember so much of the little things we enjoy together.

I marvel at what I learn when we are visiting family.  It was my father-in-law who first taught me not to let my child disrespect me and that they can contribute when they are very young.  He loves to play with the kids and has a great sense of humor.  My mother is constantly reminding me how wonderful my children are and that they are good kids.  I watched my grandmother do the fastest diaper change ever and I marvel at my other grandmother's calm manner and patience.  I love watching the way my husband's mother run her household and she has such a happy spirit about her.

I am so grateful for the family I was born into and the family I married into.  When I count my blessings they are always at the top of my list.

No comments: