Saturday, December 15, 2012

Fear and Faith

With everything that is happening in our world today we have a choice as to how we approach it, with fear or with faith.  There are scary things out there in the world, of this I have no doubt but does the bad outweigh the good?  I honestly believe there is more good in the world than bad.  I am reminded of that everytime a neighbor helps me out or a rough looking stranger opens a door for me or a friend extends a helping hand when I am overwhelmed.
 
On of my favorite scriptures is 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  This has given me peace when things happen that are beyond my control or when I see someone go through a terrible tragedy.  We can not let fear of the bad that might happen hold us back from doing good.  Satan wants us to be afraid of reaching out to strangers and nieghbors.  I have had so many small encounters with strangers that have lifted my spirits on a hard day because I simply started a conversation or smiled at them.  There is still need for caution but not fear.
 
Another scripture that has helped me is 1 John 4:18, "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear..."  When I feel afraid I try to remember the love that God has for me.  I have confidence that I am here for a purpose and so are my children.  If one of our lives were to be cut short it would be very difficult but I know we would be reunited after this life is over. 
 
I know that God loves us.  Yes, bad things happen sometimes, even horrible things.  God will not take a person's ability to choose away from them, even when they choose to harm others; but that does not change the fact that God loves us.  He weeps for our heartaches and soars in our triumphs, and someday when our lives are over He will hold us in His arms and we will feel His peace. 
 
May we have patience and faith as we face the harships of this life knowing that all wrongs will be made right in the world to come so we must endure for now.  Hold on to the fact that God does love us and it is that love that casts out our fears.

No comments: