Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Navigating Life

Last weekend I traveled with my two littles over a snowy mountain pass to attend my niece's birthday.  I was aware that a storm was coming that afternoon and we started out at about 1:00.  The rain started about ten minutes into our drive and was coming down hard.  It was hard off and on for the next half hour; as we gained elevation the rain got slushy and was hail for a while.  It wasn't long before there was a layer of slush on the road and I found myself sliding off the road.  There was a moment before we went into the ditch when I looked back at my kids in the back seat and then we came to a stop.  Long story short, no one was hurt, we didn't even get stuck and now I need a new bumper.  We were lucky, no, not lucky, blessed to come out so well.
 
This experience got me to thinking about life's journey.  I know what my ultimate goal is, and I have tools to help me get there but I rarely anticipate the challenges I will face before I reach my destination.  A large part of my life journey has been seeking the path that God has for me.  I truly belive He has a plan for me and while that plan includes many twists, turns, and surprises along the way it is the best path for me and has brought more joy than I could have imagined.
 
So, you may ask, how did I find this path and how do I know when I'm on the right path.  Just as we are given tools on road trips we are also given tools to help us in life's journey.  When the path isn't clear we are use our winshield wipers, they are like prayer.  They clear our vision and we choose the frequency of our discussions with diety.  When we find ourselves needing light we have headlights, they are like studying the scriptures, doctrine sheds light on our path.  The steering wheel is like the choices we make.  Our choices determine our direction.  Brakes are things that slow us from reaching our destination, uncertainty, trials or distractions that slow our progress.  The accelorator is attending church meetings and having meaningful gospel discussions.  Many times I have had great faith building experiences at church meetings that have propelled me forward on my path.
 
I am so grateful to have turned this frightening experience into a learning expereince.  I guess it's just one of those surprises in my path that the Lord has used to teach and guide me.  I hope you are all enjoying a wonderful Christmas season.  Take some time to look for life's lessons in your life today and be extra careful on the roads.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Beautiful thoughts! Thank you. You're going to get Jesus Take the Wheel stuck in my head though.