Monday, December 3, 2012

The Christmas Spirit

After Thanksgiving comes we're in full Christmas mode at our house. By this time I've hopefully gotten any handmade Christmas gifts made (if I wait too long I stress and crafting becomes impossible).  My husband starts playing Christmas songs on the piano...and the radio, we put up the tree, we start making Christmas candy and the shopping begins.  I was having a little trouble getting into the spirit of it all this year and just feeling rushed until one night...

We attended a Nativity exhibit at a church.  Each year they have individuals lend them their nativitys and they display them in the gymnasium.  They have crafts for the kids, live music, a live nativity, a place to dress up and get your picture taken in a stable and we look forward to it every year.  There was such a peaceful feeling when we entered the gym.  The kids walked quietly around with us looking at each version of the Christmas story.  There wer nativities from Honduras, Italy, Africa, and even some made out of legos.  Some were hand sewn, made of metal, paper, cloth, ceramic and wood.  We moved excitedly from one activity to the next and I really felt ready for Christmas.

It is my hope that this year we can focus on the real reason for the season.  I  am so grateful for a God who loved us enough to send His son to live on this earth, suffer and die for each of us.  I know that Christ was rusurrected and because He lived again we will all live again.  This knowledge gives me great peace in my life and hope for a beautiful future.  Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Was the exhibit just one day? Or is it still there? Where do they do this? It sounds wonderful!