Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tough Love

This is my parent's dog. His name is Dooley. He has ripped apart many things including a number of garden hoses that had to be mended. When my sister gave him this bear everyone was surprised to see he played with it and carried it around but never tore it apart. I took this picture one day after I'd seen him come through the back yard and was afraid he's caught Mom's cat. Imagine my relief to see it was only a stuffed bear.


Anyway, I've been getting many lessons on tough love lately. I have been asked to teach the nine-year olds at church and they are a handful. I was warned I'd need to be tough on them or they'd be out of control all the time. We set rules, set consequences and I set my expectations high. I've only tought these kids twice and I'm amazed at how they are responding to my "tough love." This comes naturally to me as I've always said, "I'm a fighter, not a lover." But I'm also realizing how sensative these kids can be and how badly I want to see them suceed. I love working with these kids and look forward to seeing them grow throughout the rest of the year.


I'm always amazed as I take on new challenges with a calling how much I learn that is vital to my progress as a wife and mother. I love being in the Primary organization and having the opportunity to see Women of God interact with children on a weekly basis. They are kind, loving and have great expectations for these kids and it shows in everything they do. In essense these kids are that dog's teddy bear and we are all holding onto them as tight as we can so we don't loose them, yet being sensative to the challenges they face in their lives and always loving them. I am honored to be trusted to teach this rising generation and help them come to know the truthfullness of the gospel.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

So insightful! Thanks for sharing!