Friday, September 30, 2011

Being the Mom Part 2

I have always had a special place in my heart for Sister Sheri L. Dew. I heard her speak throughout my dating years and felt she understood my frustrations as a single young adult. I have always revered her for her understanding of what it means to be a righteous woman and to not be held back by our circumstances or lack of certain opportunities as she has not been blessed to marry or have children. In her times of trial she sought out understanding from the source of all truth and shared what she learned.

"our Father has entrusted us as women with His children, and He has asked us to love them and help lead them safely past the dangers of mortality back home.
Loving and leading—these words summarize not only the all-consuming work of the Father and the Son, but the essence of our labor, for our work is to help the Lord with His work...motherhood [is] “the highest, holiest service … assumed by mankind.” "

"we are all mothers and we have always been mothers. And we each have the responsibility to love and help lead the rising generation." Yes, she said, ALL of us. "We are all mothers in Israel, and our calling is to love and help lead the rising generation through the dangerous streets of mortality. Few of us will reach our potential without the nurturing of both the mother who bore us and the mothers who bear with us." As I think about my life I am so greatful for the mother who bore me and so many mothers that "bear with me" on a daily basis. I am ever under the influence and care of countless friends, sisters, neighbors and leaders, righteous women who influence my life for good. Some are younger than me, some have a home full of children, some have much more life expereince than me but they have all touched my life. I know that I will would not be the person I am today without the woman who bore me and the women who bear with me.

"Never has there been a greater need for righteous mothers [women]—mothers [women] who bless their children [others] with a sense of safety, security, and confidence about the future, mothers [women] who teach their children [friends, nieghbors, associates] where to find peace and truth and that the power of Jesus Christ is always stronger than the power of the adversary."

"As mothers in Israel [righteous women who know and understand their purpose], we are the Lord’s secret weapon."

So this is a call to arms. Every kind word, thoughtful action and compassionate deed are striking blows to an adversary that will be defeated. Let's go out and show the world what it means to be a woman of God. Vamos a la battalla!

(Quotations from General Conference Address October 2001)

No comments: