Saturday, November 26, 2011

How To Fall Off A Roof

Our house has a slightly sloped roof and our two very large fur trees next to it.  We usually have several wind and rain storms in the late fall that blow the needles onto the roof.  About every three or four months the roof requires cleaning.  We finally gave in a bought a shop vacuum that converts into a leaf blower (an excellent contraption if I ever saw one).  I didn't understand why my husband bought this as we don't have many leaves to clear from the yard but it is probably the most used item stored in our garage.  We use the blower to clear fur tree needles off the sidewalks and porch which keeps them from getting tracked into the house.

Anyway, back to the roof story.  We use the blower to pile up the needles and then shovel them into leaf bags and drop the bags off the roof.  I'm sure our neighbors enjoyed watching my husband and I out  walking all over the roof for a couple hours.  While dropping the fourth bag full of needles from the roof I lost my balance and down I went.  My back is killing me today.

Okay, I'm just kidding I didn't really fall off the roof but if I had I'd atleast have a good reason for feeling as bad as I do today.  When I got down we moved the bags into the garage to keep them from getting rained on and falling apart.  I lifted wrong on one of the last bags and strained my back.  I've spent the last 24 hours wishing I didn't feel so old (and I'm really too young to be thinking that).  The worst part is I'm sure I didn't learn anything from the experience as I'll be out there in a few more months doing the same thing again, and maybe next time I really will fall off the roof and have quite a story to tell. :)

No comments: