Monday, December 12, 2011

This The Season

A couple of years ago we had a church activity with the ladies and the theme was "All Is Calm."  We made a sign with vinyl letters to take home to remind us of what we learned.  Christmas can be a real pain as it's far to easy to bury yourself in your shopping and to do lists and not get to enjoy the things that really make Christmas special.  So, in the hustle and bustle of getting ready for Christmas I'd like to share a few things that bring that Christmas Calm into my life and make me love this time of year.

1. Watching The Forgotten Carols- I love the music and cry every time.  My favorite is the song that talks about needing to find our way and how Christ is the Way.

2. Watching the First Presidency Christmas Devotional.

3. Going caroling or delivering treats to friends and neighbors.  Try not to go overboard with the treats (I always do) and pick some people you don't know very well.  You will be surprised how good it feels to surprise people.

4.  Take your family to see Christmas lights.  Especially if you have little ones, this is a great way to slow down and enjoy something simple.

5. Go shop for some toys to donate.  I want to teach my kids about giving and what better time of year to do so.

6.  Give a gift to Christ.  After all, it is his birthday and what better way to celebrate than thinking about what gift you would like to give Him this year.  Write it down in a journal or on a notecard where you can review it and work on it (if it's self improvement related).  It should be something sincere and simple.

7.  Attend the temple or perform some other act of service.  Anything that gets you away from that to do list is great.

8.  Do 12 days of Christmas for your spouse.  Write down one thing you appreciate about them each day.  I am finding that my husband often gets forgotten in my running around and I really need to do better about making him feel loved and appreciated.

9.  Finish your shopping early and enjoy the Spirit of the season.

Well, none of this is earth shattering and I hope this will give you some ideas for how to make your season bright.  Our last two Christmases have been rather hectic so I'm challenging myself to keep the calm this season and not get lost in what there is to do.  Merry Christmas!

No comments: