Thursday, October 4, 2012

An Old Journal

Last weekend I was looking through my bookshelf and found an old journal from high school.  It was from my junior and senior years and had about six entries.  I only wrote when something really good happened or when I was reflecting on a bad situation and trying to figure out what to do about it. 
 
I was surprised the effect it had on me.  I spent the next three days thinking about the people and places that were so important to me twelve years ago. When I think of my past I tend to focus on all my shortcomings.  This is very frustrating as I had painted a picture of myself that made me a little resentful.  I got out a photo album from that same time period.  As I turned through the pages it brought back so many good memories.  I was really blessed to have friends that were a good influence on me and pushed me academically (thank you spell check).  Turning my ambitions to my school work, which I was good at, really helped me get through many ackward years.  It also set a pattern for achievment that I have tried to continue through my life.

I have spent much time lately regretting some of the decisions I made.  Most were small things that caused myself and sometimes others pain.  I must admit that there are days when I've wondered if I will ever make peace with my past self but I am making progress.  I've learned a couple of things.  First, no matter how much you analyze your past you can't change what's already been done; pondering has it's place but unless it leads to action there are times when it's just wasted brain power. Second, action is what makes us who we are and worry only lends to frustration.  The more you dread something or stew over it the bigger it becomes and the less you want to deal with it.  Less stewing, more doing. (That's pretty good, I'll have to remember that one.) And last, we live today, not yesterday and not tomorrow. 


"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows."
-Pres. Thomas S. Monson




1 comment:

Joan said...

Thank you for your insights. I guess we never outgrow the need to remind ourselves that we cannot change the past - I'm still working on it!