Monday, October 15, 2012

You Reap What You Sow

We have had so much fun with our garden this year.  What I love most about the garden (besides the food that comes out of it) is that it get me outside with my kids.  We put in a 4 x 16 garden bed at the beginning of last summer and each year I learn quite a bit.  The kids are always excited to go pick the vegitables and I love that they want to help with the work.
 I was really surpised how well the garden produced  since we planted so late and didn't start watering until into July (we had rain most of June).  The snow peas did really well and were done mid Summer.  The normal peas and beans did poorly but the few beets were delicious.  The cucumbers and pumkins were a total fail and the squash I planted in the middle of the tomatoes thinking it would just grow along the ground took over and grew up through the tomatoes.  I also planted the tomatoes too close together.
Next year I want to do more beets, replanting if needed, more onions, more potatoes and make better trelleses for my peas.  I also need to try putting my cucumbers in a different spot to see if it makes a difference.  I love having the opportunity to teach my children the benefits of putting the work in.  Here's to a great harvest and putting all this good experience to work next year.

1 comment:

Joan said...

The only way I have success with cucumbers in this climate is to plant them in a sunny spot next to the house so that the heat reflected off the house keeps the ground warmer.