Monday, October 1, 2012

30 Great Years

Today is my birthday.  I don't feel old and I haven't been dreading this day.  I have, however, spent quite a bit of time reflecting on my life and today I'm pretty happy with what I have accomplished and look forward to many more years to come.  I would like to share some of my favorite memories from past birthdays.
 
When I turned twelve my family threw me a surprise party and I was totally in the dark.  I had gone out shopping with my Mom and when we got home my friends were there and jumped out and said "surprise" and we had a fun day.
 
When I turned 16 or 18, I can't remember which, my friends kidnapped me and took me to play laser tag at Treasure Cove.  Then we played the X-Men arcade game and had cake and ice cream.  Again, I was totally in the dark that they had planned something for me.
 
On my 25th birthday I was 10 days from having a baby so my husband invited a few people from church to come over.  It was simple but he took care of everything and I was impressed that he had planned a party for me.  He gave me a space heater (I was always cold.) Someone else gave me tiger lilies which got me started loving flowers and wanting to garden.
 
On my 27th birthday I was 8 months pregnant and Matt made me a homemade cake (this has since become a tradition).  He gave me a shovel and two big bags of flower bulbs.  My mother-in-law helped me plant them and we have beautiful flowers every Spring.  That was probably my favorite gift ever.  This was also the first year my oldest got to help do the shopping for my birthday and he was so excited about it.
 
Last Saturday my husband spoiled me by watching the kids while I locked myself in my room working on a sewing project most of the day.  He took the boys to go do some birthday shopping and they were so excited.  I could hear them talking as they were wrapping my gifts and they spent the rest of the day moving them from place to place hiding them from me so they would be a surprise.
 
Life has been good so far and my goal for this next year is to spend more time counting my blessings.

No comments: