Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year


As I look back over the past year I feel joy at all the good memories we’ve made.  I’m especially amazed that, despite their best efforts, my children have not managed to kill themselves.  It has been a year full of jumping and climbing, falling and flying, bike riding, running, and playing super heroes.  It has been so fun to see my children’s imaginations grow and their minds soak up so many new things.

I can’t say that the change in myself is as obvious as that of my young children.  I spent some time being angry with everyone and being quite introverted for a time.  Luckily, that time passed and I came out with a greater understanding of my need for good people in my life and my need for friends.  I have also come to find joy in serving my husband this year that I had not felt since our early days of marriage.

This year has been a year for working with children and I have taught and been taught by so many little ones.  I had the blessing of teaching the 6 year old Sunday School class at church.  I have mostly worked with little boys, teenagers and babies up until now and it has been a joy to be part of these five little girl’s lives this year.  It has given me a new appreciation for these vibrant young children as they are slowly outgrowing their childish ways.

I learned this year that I love to be outside, especially with my family.  I also learned that the time I want to be alone is the best time to reach out to someone else.  I also came to remember how much I love the beauty of written word, art and music when it is done well.  It is my hope that in this new year we will all take time to find beauty in the things and people all around us and thank God for them every day. 

No comments: