Saturday, January 26, 2013

Serving Our Children

I was asked to share an experience with our church women's group about serving our families, specifically small children.  I was amazed at what came out when I began to type.  Then I was asked to share these thoughts at a conference this morning.  The following is what I shared:
 
Ministering to our families is a tender subject to me as being a mother did NOT come naturally. I remember the first time I heard my own child cry, I knew my life would never be the same. I had a moment of panic in the hospital when the baby was fussing and they brought him to me. All of a sudden I was supposed to know exactly what to do.  I spent most of the next two years frustrated at my inability to serve in a capacity that seems to come so naturally to so many. Even though I struggled there was never any doubt in my mind that this was the work that the Lord intended for me to do; knowing that made it easier to serve.
As time went on my daily prayers for help in teaching and serving my family became more fervent. Before long I was called to nursery. I learned so much through my missteps and started to feel confident in serving these little children. Despite my insecurities we welcomed a second little boy into our family two years after the first. My prayers became more focused as my time was divided between these little ones and my husband. Before long I felt impressed to start a play group that ended up including 10 children. The following year I participated in a joy school and continued to develop my abilities. The Lord had found a way to teach me to better serve my children through teaching and interacting with them in a more formal setting.
Many times the best way I can serve my family, especially my young children, is to involve them in what I am doing. Sometimes they need me to drop what I am doing and do something with them. Last fall we would often drop everything when the sun peeked out  and take a walk or ride bikes to take advantage of the moments of good weather. Many times we would collect leaves and sticks, play at the park, splash in puddles or watch birds. Another way I serve my children is being available for moral support. Many times when they are performing a task they can do on their own but just need a little encouragement. It takes patience to stay by them but many times a little moral support is all they need.
I have to laugh a little whenever anyone compliments my ability to teach pre-school age children. “You are such a natural,” they say.  I assure you it did not come naturally. Each step I take toward being a better mother and teacher is a battle hard fought but worth every effort. I truly feel that I have been blessed for taking on this calling in my life despite my inadequacies. When we seek to do the Lord’s work He has promised to make a way for us to accomplish what He commands us to do. I really see this as I strive to serve my children.
I have always been a little ashamed to admit to my shortcomings and I was amazed at how liberating it was to share and surprised to see how much I have grown in the past five years. It is my hope that this will help someone else who is struggling find their voice.
 


1 comment:

Corinne said...

Thanks for sharing! You are such a great example to me <3