Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I Am Superman

"Be yourself, unless you can be Batman, ALWAYS BE BATMAN."
I don't remember when I first heard this statement but it made me laugh so much.  My children, especially my oldest loves Batman.  My littel ones love to play super heros.  Three days ago my husband came home from work and joined the kids dressing up and playing superheros.  For a moment I forgot about all the stress in my life and my "to do" list and joined in as well.  The look on my husband's face as I came running down the hall in a breasplate with a sword was priceless.  I probably participated for about five minutes and it totally changed my day.  So there's my first lesson on superheros, don't take life too seriously.
 
There is something intrigueing about the stories of the average guy turned super hero; Batman, Spiderman, Green Lantern, Captain America, Fantastic 4, Iron Man they were all pretty normal guys who became something spectacular.  I am drawn to them because they tell me that anyone can be extraordinary, and that's superhero lesson two, anyone can make a difference.
 
I recently watched the Avengers...multiple times.  My superhero feddish was only fueled by YouTube videos HISHE (how it should have ended) and their series of Superhero Cafe. Check them out HERE.  I also spent many an evening over the past couple months sewing capes and masks for my kids for Christmas.  It was the most fun I've ever had on a project (I also sucked a few friends into my project and we had so much fun, Thanks Melynda, Kari and Angela!).  My normal bedtime is between 9:00 and 10:00 and there were nights I'd think, I'm okay to do a little more.  Everytime I tried to push myself beyond 10:00 something went wrong with my sewing and I spent the next 15 minutes undoing what I'd tried to do.  So, my last superhero lesson for the day is, know your limits.  There are days when you can run around getting tons of stuff done and feel great about it but chances are you are going to pay for it the next day.  Even the Avengers needed some time off after a hectic day of fighting evil.
 
So, I guess I need to modify the saying from the beginning.  "Always be yorself, take time to be Batman, or my personal favorite, Superman, but always come back to being yourself."

No comments: