Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Setting The Tone For The Day

Why is it that the tone of the day is set in the first ten minutes?  It seems like everyday, within moments of waking I can feel what kind of day I'm going to have.  Today started with the thud of my three-year-old kicking the wall.  This is pretty normal.  Before long there were feet coming up the hallway and a five-year-old informing me that he had wet the bed.  Before I knew it the little one was frieking out about what we were making for breakfast and the older one was refusing to take a shower.  So I decided we'd try starting over again.  I put the little one back in bed and told him we were going to start over again...he came out a few minutes later with a better attitude. (Thanks Angie for teaching me that trick!)  Next I stuck the big one in the shower. Despite his protests he came out clean and calmer than before.
 
I was determined to not let that ruin our day.  I sat and visited with them while we ate breakfast and re-set our mindset for the day.  Later in the day we visited the dollar store and that was an adventure as always.  The afternoon has been pleasantly quiet except for one biting incident and we're all over it now.

No comments: