Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I Am A Mormon

We were asked to create a profile for Mormon.org which is our church's website for those who want to learn more. It really got me to thinking about what my religion and my relationship with Jesus Christ mean to me. I wish I had taken more time to ponder my answer but I'm a very "get it done" kind of person and was eager to mark it off my list, so I'm going to take a moment to share with you my answers and add a bit.
About Me
I grew up in a small farming town in Southern Idaho. My parents taught me to work hard and that helping others was a very important part of life. When I graduated college I took a job in the Seattle area and looked forward to persuing a career. I met my wonderful husband here and am so glad I somehow mustered the courage to leave Idaho. I am very surprised where my life has taken me and look forward to seeing what the future will bring.
I should have added: I love animals and I love to bake. I've been on the search for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for several years now and keep coming back to Grandma Betty Lou's recipe. I love good food. I love to sing and have always had a big voice. I spend my days chasing my kids and participating in a pre-school co-op where I have learned that I love to teach. I'm a first class penny pincher and thrift shopper and I am a Mormon.
Why I am a Mormon
I was born into a Mormon family. My father is the kindest man I've ever known and I know that a big part of that is his desire to follow the example of Jesus Christ. My mother is a woman of great faith. I can't explain it but I just always knew that she had a close realationship with the Savior and it was something that is greatly important to her. Through time I have come to know Jesus Christ as my personal Savior and have expereinced the power of prayer as I've been guided in the decisions I've made. It is through God's love and His guidance that I am who I am today.
I should have added: When I was a teenager I had been invited to find out for myself if the gospel was true. By then I'd had several experiences where I had felt good about what was being taught and knew it was the Holy Ghost helping me feel that what was being taught was true. I remember being at my first girl's camp, we'd had a evening meeting and many had shared their experiences and feelings about the gospel. There was such a feeling of peace there that I did not want to leave. That is the first of many times I remember really feeling that it was true.
How I live my faith
One of the most important things I want to teach my children is to be kind to everyone. Jesus Christ taught so many valuable lessons during His lifetime and this, to me, is key. The world can be very difficult and even cruel at times and if I can take a moment to lift someone else or make their day a little brighter than I have done what Christ would want me to do.Through my participation in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I've had many opportunites to serve others. I have taught young children, taken dinners in to the sick, tended children, and shared many conversations with sisters who are struggling. My life has been enriched by these expereinces and I've grown closer to Jesus Christ.Some would say I was born into this church but I say it's a decision I make everyday to live the way Christ would want me to live.
I should have added: I have always had a fear of failure and an even greater fear of making incorrect decisions as I know how much that can impact the rest of my life. When it came time to make decisions like where to attend college I sought answers through prayer using the pattern of studying out my options, making a decision, praying if that was the correct decision and paying attention to how I felt while asking in prayer. I was guided in that decision and many others. During my Junior year of college I started to feel like I should serve a mission which absolutely terrified me. I spent several months trying to explain to God that I was unqualified to serve a mission but still felt like I should go. I understood from then on that if God wanted me to go that He would help when I asked for it. There have been many things in my life I've taken on that I've felt unprepared or unqualified for including a wonderful husband and two beautiful children. As I face my challenges I find peace in knowing that help is only a prayer away.

No comments: