Monday, October 10, 2011

Potato Brocolli Cheese Soup Recipe

As the rainy season begins it's time for soup. I'm not really into soups but when it rains it's just the best thing to eat. I got brave yesterday and tried a new recipe, which turned out to be a winner. We're now rating new recipes at our house between one and five stars. One being, let's not eat that again and five being, that was so good let's eat it again next week. This soup scored a 4.5 star rating. It was full of vegetables which was my favorite part. It calls for 2 cups of onions so if you don't like onions (David) you probably won't like this. Click Here for the Recipe. I froze some, wondering if it would keep so I could make double batches and keep some for another day. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update (9/30/12):  This is still my favorite soup.  To make it easier I will post the recipe here along with some tricks to make it go faster.

3 cups broccoli (I have used frozen and fresh, both good)
I steam the broccoli and save the water to use in the soup.
2 cups onions, chopped
2 Tbsp margarine
2 1/2 pounds potatos pealed and cubed (I've used red, yukons and russetts, all good)
5 cups boiling water (from steaming the brocolli)
4 cubes chicken bouillon (I use 2 cubes of the Mexican bouillion/soup base)
salt and pepper to taste
shredded cheddar cheese to garnish each bowl

Steam broccoli.  Saute onions in margarine (10-15 minutes).  Add potatoes, water and bouillon to onions.  Cover and boil until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.  Add brocolli.  Puree half of the soup mix in a blender (or use a submersion blender).  This gives the soup its thickness.  Season with salt and pepper and top with cheese.

The original recipe calls for 3 cups of cheese but this soup doesn't need it.

1 comment:

Family Times said...

Hello soup lovers! You are right about cutting down on some of those onions for our family, but it sounds good! FYI, I have frozen all kinds of soups because I do like to double up the batch. I have yet to find that freezing has anything but good benefits. David jokes that I freeze everything, but it is convenient for a busy household. I have some awesome soup recipes to share, just need some time to get them posted! Have a SOUPER day!