Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cheesecake Take 2

I love to bake but don't often venture out on a limb on a somewhat difficult recipe.  A couple years ago I had decided to attempt a homemade cheesecake for my husband's birthday.  I have a friend who worked in a bakery in high school and she gave me a recipe with excellent directions and my first attempt was a success.  It has kind of been a tradition since then to make a cheesecake for my husband's birthday every year.  This year I decided to try the marble cheesecake recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  I used the Cheesecake Supreme recipe for the chocolate swirl
 The above picture is the disasterous result of the first attempt.  I used a different recipe for the crust than the recipe and forgot to put the 1 Tbsp of sugar in the crust.  Then I realized as I was putting it in the crust that there was no way I was going to get it to swirl and I hadn't left enough of the mix without chocolate (you could do it all chocolate and it would still taste amazing).  Then I left the flour out of the cake part.  I didn't realize this until after I had put it in the oven.  I had come to terms with the fact that it was just not going to be a great cake but thought it would still work.  I stuck it in the oven and went outside to work in the yard.  BAD MOVE!  I burnt the cake.  I was super bummed when I pulled it out and it was super dark on top (it is supposed to be lightly browned).  So I headed to the store to buy more ingredients and try again.  On the bright side, I knew exactly what I did wrong so I knew it wouldn't be hard to fix.

The second cheesecake was very nearly perfect.  I did a vanilla wafer and almond crust and made sure not to overcook it.  I was shocked at how good it tasted and despite the dryness of the first one we still ate it all.

Update (9/30/12):  I meant to put the recipe up for this one and am just getting around to it today.
This is the Cheesecake Supreme recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook with a different crust.
Crust- 1 1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
           1 Tbsp granulated sugar
           1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds (350 degrees for 5-10 min to toast)
           3 oz (6 Tbsp) melted butter
Mix ingredients.  Press into bottom of springform pan.  Butter sides of pan "like crazy." Bake 350 degrees for 10 min.

Filling- 3 8 oz boxes cream cheese
             1 cup sugar
             2 Tbsp flour
             1 tsp vanilla
             2 eggs
             1 egg yolk
             1/4 cup milk
             2 ounces semisweet chocolate
Mix cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla with an electric mixer. add eggs and yolk all at once, beat until combined.  Stir in milk.  Melt chocolate and combine with half of filling mix.  Spoon  mix into pan. (I put alternated a dollup of chocolate and then vanilla next to it.  That made it easier to swirl.)  Butter sides of pan again. Bake at 375 degrees. 8 inch pan 45-50 minutes. 9 inch pan 35-40 minutes. Top should be slightly brown.

No comments: