Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Throwing Stones

I have a two-year-old who likes to throw things.  I can't say I'm surprised as I'm a bit of a thrower myself.  I tend to want to throw things to get someone's attention and there are days when there's nothing better than going outside and throwing a ball around.  I've even been known to throw a stuffed animal or koosh ball with my husband while having a conversation (the ball helps the focus stay on the conversation and it's just fun).  Anyway, I like to throw things (except basketballs, I stink at throwing basketballs).

We went down to the river with a bunch of kids and we had to throw rocks while we were there.  Imagine the joy felt by my two-year-old who is constantly being told not to throw things when we tell him it's okay to throw rocks in the river.  It was so much fun to watch the kids try to make big splashes in the water.  I also couldn't help but think of the Savior's teachings about throwing stones.  How often do we get involved in a bit of gossip and, like my two-year-old, go looking for a big rock to throw as soon as opporunity arises?  How often have I found myself trying to "out do everyone elses' splash" by telling a better story then the previous one?  I'm not going to lie, throwing stones comes very naturally to me.  The trick is to be more aware of the affect our splash is having.

The standard I was always taught to use when speaking of someone who is not present is to imagine how I would feel if the person were present.  Would I still say what I'm about to say?  Would it embarrass them?  Would it embarrass me?  That's the best standard I have found.  On the flip side, if you have a compliment to give don't be shy.  Even say it loud enough to be overheard by the person who you are speaking about.  When we have friends over I try to say something good about my husband when he's in earshot.  Imagine the difference between entering a room and having it go silent (and you know you were being spoken of negetively) or entering a room right as someone is complimenting you.  So remember the next time you're tempted to make a splash, NO THROWING ROCKS, except in the river.

No comments: