Thursday, September 20, 2012

When We Fall Down

My two-year-old got a bicycle (garage sale find) in the beginning of July.  He was so excited it was rediculous.  He took to the riding really well and was excited about being able to keep up with brother.  Grandpa King was here and helped him figure out his brakes.  He did forget once (or he paniced and froze) so he's a little afraid of hills.  He'd been doing really well and then one day his dad took him for a ride to the school and after he fell he just pushed the bike the rest of the time.
 
I always tell the kids, "we all fall down sometimes."  So I asked Daniel later that day, "what do we do when we fall down."  To which he responded, "push our bikes."
 
This was a little disappointing for someone who grew up falling off a horse, literally, and was always taught to get right back on.  It was a good lesson for me to learn but I must admit there are times when I'm a little bruised and not eager at all to try again.  I often am content to just "push the bike" being very careful before getting my nerve up to try again.  Luckily, there is always that nagging thought carefully placed by dilligent parents that I need to get back on that horse and try again.
 
One of my favorite quotes “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow.” -Mary Anne Radmacher

No comments: